Today was a rough day. Rough actually would be an understatement! Horrible No good Sucky Day.
Today started off great. Lie IT was all down hill from 9:05 on. I was observed by a NEW adviser of mine. We go back to Sophomore year. I never got a good vibe from her and today proved it. I know i should have stuck to my gut feeling, silly me giving her the benefit of the doubt.
The kids were crazy, wild, talkative, outa control. But they can be like this. Honestly if i learned one thing in K so far, they set the stage. Well one kid can set and ruin the stage in a matter of seconds. Thats what happened today. We had flying shoes, moving squares, out burst, roll on the flooor, hit a kid on the bus kind. of. day. All by 9:20
I thought i handled it well. I mean all my kids were still alive, i still had all my hair, and we made it to lunch by 11:20.
Apparently my "adviser" thought differently.
her: "K is not your thing is it?"
me: " uhh well this is my 1st time teaching it"
her: "Yeah i can tell K is not your cup of tea"
me thinking :" WELL THANKS LADY for NOTHING, i thought i was doing a good job and was enjoying K"
Me: "speechless...uhhh yeah its hard"
Her: "dont worry i couldn't do it"
Me think: "well i KNOW i can and thanks for no support"
me: "yeah its tough"
I WAS SOO IRRITATED! SHE HAD NO FAITH IN ME AND FOR ONE SECOND MADE ME THINK I HAD NO FAITH IN MYSELF!! HOW DARE YOU. I AM AN AWESOME TEACHER AND I CAN HANDLE MY STUDENTS. THANK. YOU. VERY. MUCH.
rant over.
Retail therapy and margarita did the trick.
Today started off great. Lie IT was all down hill from 9:05 on. I was observed by a NEW adviser of mine. We go back to Sophomore year. I never got a good vibe from her and today proved it. I know i should have stuck to my gut feeling, silly me giving her the benefit of the doubt.
The kids were crazy, wild, talkative, outa control. But they can be like this. Honestly if i learned one thing in K so far, they set the stage. Well one kid can set and ruin the stage in a matter of seconds. Thats what happened today. We had flying shoes, moving squares, out burst, roll on the flooor, hit a kid on the bus kind. of. day. All by 9:20
I thought i handled it well. I mean all my kids were still alive, i still had all my hair, and we made it to lunch by 11:20.
Apparently my "adviser" thought differently.
her: "K is not your thing is it?"
me: " uhh well this is my 1st time teaching it"
her: "Yeah i can tell K is not your cup of tea"
me thinking :" WELL THANKS LADY for NOTHING, i thought i was doing a good job and was enjoying K"
Me: "speechless...uhhh yeah its hard"
Her: "dont worry i couldn't do it"
Me think: "well i KNOW i can and thanks for no support"
me: "yeah its tough"
I WAS SOO IRRITATED! SHE HAD NO FAITH IN ME AND FOR ONE SECOND MADE ME THINK I HAD NO FAITH IN MYSELF!! HOW DARE YOU. I AM AN AWESOME TEACHER AND I CAN HANDLE MY STUDENTS. THANK. YOU. VERY. MUCH.
rant over.
Retail therapy and margarita did the trick.
Aww, that's rough! Teaching the younger grades is definitely different! But, I bet she was like my rude, too old advisor. She never made any sense at all and always had dumb stuff to say. I teach preschool and I have taught Kindergarten. It's so much fun, but it can be challenging. Those little guys are full of themselves! I bet you are doing great!! Keep with it and DO NOT be discouraged!! I'm sure those kids love you!
ReplyDeleteAww sorry you had a rough day. I used to be a camp counselor and keeping a group of young childern under control is hard. That lady was rude!!! blow her off
ReplyDeletekinda ironic for her to be supervising something that she herself says she can't do. don't worry. just like you have good and bad days of teaching, you'll have good and bad advisors (and evaluations). it's important to remember to stick up for yourself, no matter what. in these moments, if you don't believe in yourself and stand up for yourself, no one else will. it's good this happened now, next time you'll be ready. ;)
ReplyDeleteI was in your same position in Student Teaching. I had a supervising teacher that was OLD! and not helpful in any way as well as a supervisor that offered criticism without the constructive in the front. Keep you head high, and hang in there. If you maintain that confidence in yourself you continue to be an awesome teacher. Keep doing your best and it will pay off! :-)
ReplyDeleteAlso, when I student taught, I would bribe my kids the day my supervisor came. "If you can do your very best listening and working hard, I will give you a treat!" If they did well, I would pass out some Cheerios or something healthy. Haha... sad but it did work.