Saturday, September 26, 2009

Long Distance Relationships

Okay here i go on my rant and rave about long distance relationships.

Lukas and I started dating the summer before his first year of college. Luckily (for him and I) he picked to go to PSU. He was able (i think not by choice) to go to Penn State Altoona for his first two years. I think everything happens for a reason and by him staying in Altoona was one of the best things for our relationship. We had just started dating in July and the truth is looking back i do not know if we would have been able to do the long distance thing then. Thank God luke and i had two years to build an awesome foundation to our relationship. In 2006 luke and i both went away to college (luke PSU university park and I went to SRU). About 3 hours apart (driving the speed limit luke, dont say i could get there in 2 hrs because that's a lie).

The first year was tough. But we made it work. We would meet at home about every other weekend! He came to SRU a few times and i would go to PSU a few times. We were always texting and calling, but our main time to talk would be at night. I loved being able to lay in bed at night and talk about our days. This allowed me to feel that we both weren't missing out on things in each others lives.

Year two just pretty much the same. Except for mine and lukes little break (which made us stronger).

Now year 3 was a little better, but it started getting hard. I just wanted to be with him more often than every few weekends! Luke graduated in Dec. and moved home to altoona. This made us a little bit closer. We got to see each other a lot more between his time of graduating and starting his new job. Once he started his new job our schedules were NEVER the same. At times we would go almost 24 hrs without talking. (this is when it started to get hard and frustrating). But we made it work and summer was near and Lukas and I were getting exciting. Summer is the time where i see luke a lot and get sick of him then im good for the next year (haha). Well this summer would be different.

Summer was only here for 3 weeks when we got the news that luke would be getting transferred to Harrisburg. So now we got to play this horrible long distance game in the summer. I am not a fan. I tried to fill my time with 2 jobs, but still did not get many hours. It did not help that he does not like where he is either. But we made it through the summer, it was bittersweet. Only seeing each other once in a while, but also getting engaged!

Now here we are the home stretch right? year 4.... You think it would get easier with time, but in reality it doesn't. This year has been the hardest because we are now a little over 4 hours away and he works SOO much. It really should be illegal! i know he could be across the country (and i always think if my older sis Ky and her hubby) Lukas and i have it easier than they did but it is still hard.

Some advice i have to help make it work:

Communication- take the time to talk and fill each other in on your day. This allows us to feel like we are not missing out on things. Also talk about feelings. Make sure both of you are not hiding feelings and be open with each other!

Visit each other- this may be hard but when you have time try a surprise visit! Luke has done this for me a few times and i LOVED it :)

Have fun- both people in the relationship need to remember to have fun and enjoy life! You have to be happy to make it work.

Try not to get upset- this is the one i am not good at. i get sad a lot when luke and i go awhile without seeing each other. I have to remember that we both want to see each other and getting upset is only going to make it harder.

Send a surprise text, email, flower- this shows the other person that you are thinking of them and you miss them :)

Our long distance relationship is over half way over! (YESSS). After my summer student teaching (ending mid Aug) luke and i will be able to say we are done doing the long distance thing! I will be so happy to wake up next to him everyday (even if that means fighting over covers and bed space). And i know in the end this will only make a STRONGER couple!

Now if only i can take my own advice and make this next year go smoothly!

<3lyss

2 comments:

  1. Good post and great advice! I know what you're going through, and I know it's tough! But one day, you'll look back on this and realize that it made you two super strong. Long distance will make or break you. And if you're blessed to be of the few that it makes, then you're going to be able to withstand anything. During my 3 1/2 yrs away from hubby I was miserable, but I would not take it back. It made us who we are as a couple and it just all worked out in so many ways. So hang in there...you're almost through the tough part! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said! And, you gave such great advice. You and Luke deserve some much needed QT! Soon you'll be wrapped up in his arms every.single.night-- sooooo much better than a phone call!

    ReplyDelete