The Unexpected
“You are in seat number seven”, said the new bus driver as a bus full of unfamiliar faces stared back at me. “I did not want to be in seat number seven” I thought. I wanted to be in my old seat, on my old bus, with my old bus driver. Hesitantly, I walked back to my seat and there sat a boy with red hair. He made me sit on the window side, “I don’t like the window side”, I said to myself. The boy obviously did not care. He did not even say “hi” or ask me my name. He had an unfriendly vibe. “Just my luck to get stuck with meanest rudest kid on the bus”, I thought to myself. He looked older than me, so I figured he was probably in 6th grade. That would explain why he was standoffish, 6th grade boys at my school had no feelings or even hearts at that matter. A blond hair boy climbed on the bus and started heading towards my seat. “He cannot sit here too”, I thought to myself. The boy indeed scooted in to our seat squishing me against the window. The bus ride to Juniata Gap Elementary lasted a life time. The two boys in my seat decided to see how hard they could throw themselves towards the window. Did they forget about a tiny 4th grader getting shoved as hard as possible by two large 6th grade boys?
My sister and I came up with a plan so I could be the last one in the seat. Janelle would keep an eye out for the school bus as I crouched behind a small bush near the bus stop. Right when the bus pulled up to our stop she would give me the signal and I would run up to the bus getting on just in time. This would allow me to sit in the aisle seat, which would prevent me from getting slammed by these two inconsiderate boys. Unfortunately, the mean red -headed boy yelled “Move in”. I tried this plan several times. Sometimes it worked and other times I would get the stare down with a sharp loud “Move in”. My mom started to get worried because I would constantly come home crying! “Let me call this kid’s parents” My mother said. “No, mom he will only bully me worse” I replied. Eventually, my mom started having my babysitter drop my sister and me off at school, so I no longer had to sit with that mean boy on the bus.
Six years later my friends and I were on our way to our first high school get together. We were going to a friend’s house to watch a Penn State football game. We walked in the house and sitting there on the couch was the red-headed bully. I thought I was going die. “Seriously, no way this is a joke” I thought to myself. Of course I felt the need to inform my friends how that boy bullied me in elementary school. My friends and I decided we were going to ignored him, because of my dreadful childhood past. Unfortunately, Luke, the red-headed bully, was a good friend of our friends. After hanging out with the same friends for a while, it was time we talked. So we would say “hi”, but not much more.
Then one day my friends left me with no ride but my childhood bully. “Seriously what are my friends doing to me?”, I asked myself. I was furious with my friends’ lack of concern for my well-being, but rode with him anyways because I had no choice. In our short car ride I decided I would confront him about being the bus bully. I was no longer scared of him and I was no longer the same shy timid girl from six years ago. “Do you know you bullied me on the bus in elementary school?” I said. “No, I do not even remember you riding my bus” He said. “Well I definitely remember, I shouted”. After much denial about the entire situation Luke said “I am sorry, but I still do not remember”. I accepted his apology, but reminded him of the elementary school incident several times. I told him he would pay for it someday.
After spending time with Luke I realized he was not the same mean kid from elementary school. He ended up being nice, understanding, fun, and even kind of cute. After some hesitation, we eventually started dating. Five years later we are still dating and every summer we take a trip to Ocean City together. During our latest vacation to the beach this past summer, Luke got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. I said yes, of course! It is important to realize that people can change and you never know where you are going to meet your best friend and soul mate.
“You are in seat number seven”, said the new bus driver as a bus full of unfamiliar faces stared back at me. “I did not want to be in seat number seven” I thought. I wanted to be in my old seat, on my old bus, with my old bus driver. Hesitantly, I walked back to my seat and there sat a boy with red hair. He made me sit on the window side, “I don’t like the window side”, I said to myself. The boy obviously did not care. He did not even say “hi” or ask me my name. He had an unfriendly vibe. “Just my luck to get stuck with meanest rudest kid on the bus”, I thought to myself. He looked older than me, so I figured he was probably in 6th grade. That would explain why he was standoffish, 6th grade boys at my school had no feelings or even hearts at that matter. A blond hair boy climbed on the bus and started heading towards my seat. “He cannot sit here too”, I thought to myself. The boy indeed scooted in to our seat squishing me against the window. The bus ride to Juniata Gap Elementary lasted a life time. The two boys in my seat decided to see how hard they could throw themselves towards the window. Did they forget about a tiny 4th grader getting shoved as hard as possible by two large 6th grade boys?
My sister and I came up with a plan so I could be the last one in the seat. Janelle would keep an eye out for the school bus as I crouched behind a small bush near the bus stop. Right when the bus pulled up to our stop she would give me the signal and I would run up to the bus getting on just in time. This would allow me to sit in the aisle seat, which would prevent me from getting slammed by these two inconsiderate boys. Unfortunately, the mean red -headed boy yelled “Move in”. I tried this plan several times. Sometimes it worked and other times I would get the stare down with a sharp loud “Move in”. My mom started to get worried because I would constantly come home crying! “Let me call this kid’s parents” My mother said. “No, mom he will only bully me worse” I replied. Eventually, my mom started having my babysitter drop my sister and me off at school, so I no longer had to sit with that mean boy on the bus.
Six years later my friends and I were on our way to our first high school get together. We were going to a friend’s house to watch a Penn State football game. We walked in the house and sitting there on the couch was the red-headed bully. I thought I was going die. “Seriously, no way this is a joke” I thought to myself. Of course I felt the need to inform my friends how that boy bullied me in elementary school. My friends and I decided we were going to ignored him, because of my dreadful childhood past. Unfortunately, Luke, the red-headed bully, was a good friend of our friends. After hanging out with the same friends for a while, it was time we talked. So we would say “hi”, but not much more.
Then one day my friends left me with no ride but my childhood bully. “Seriously what are my friends doing to me?”, I asked myself. I was furious with my friends’ lack of concern for my well-being, but rode with him anyways because I had no choice. In our short car ride I decided I would confront him about being the bus bully. I was no longer scared of him and I was no longer the same shy timid girl from six years ago. “Do you know you bullied me on the bus in elementary school?” I said. “No, I do not even remember you riding my bus” He said. “Well I definitely remember, I shouted”. After much denial about the entire situation Luke said “I am sorry, but I still do not remember”. I accepted his apology, but reminded him of the elementary school incident several times. I told him he would pay for it someday.
After spending time with Luke I realized he was not the same mean kid from elementary school. He ended up being nice, understanding, fun, and even kind of cute. After some hesitation, we eventually started dating. Five years later we are still dating and every summer we take a trip to Ocean City together. During our latest vacation to the beach this past summer, Luke got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. I said yes, of course! It is important to realize that people can change and you never know where you are going to meet your best friend and soul mate.
Everyone in my class enjoyed it and insisted on putting their car keys away and taking public transportation for a while in hopes of finding their future husband :)
That's so funny. I can't imagine Luke being a bully. But you're right, people can def change in good ways. It's important to be open to that. :) Nice Story!
ReplyDeleteoh he was. a very big mean one.
ReplyDelete