Thursday, April 1, 2010

Are you a trust earner or giver?

My sis and i have been talking about trust a lot lately. I believe that trust is an extremely important part of a foundation to any type of relationship (bf/gf, friend, sibling, mother/daughter...etc). If a relationship lacks trust, there is no way it can last. I think that there are two ways to look at trust. Are you a trust earner or a trust giver? By this i mean:

Do you automatically trust someone till they give you a reason not to (giver) OR

Does someone have to earn you trust over a period of time (earner).

I think i am a skeptical trust giver and by this i mean that for the most part i give someone trust until they do something that takes that trust away. However i give it with some skeptiaclisim (is that a word?). I always have the thought in the back of my mind well they could do this or well i heard they are like that..... I like to think i am a realistic person... Luke says i am a pessimistic.. I just know how life is and people are and it is easier for me to have that doubt.

My theory is that i am a giver because i have not REALLY been hurt or betrayed. I mean i have had the friends who done the whole stab in the back type deal, but besides one small incident in my life, trust has not been hard to give. On the other hand, i feel as if people who have had their trust betrayed tend to be more of a earner. I think this is because they are scared about getting hurt again, and they can slim their chances of being hurt if someone has to earn the trust and it is not just given to them.

I think both types have their pros and cons.


Okay kinda random, but what are you a trust giver or trust earner?

2 comments:

  1. great post! i am def a trust earner...i learned pretty early in life that ppl are not always what they seem. i've been disappointed over and over with how easily ppl can lie, even about the little itty bitty things. and don't even get me started on guys...lol...i never had a specific incident that made me feel this way about life/ppl, it's just kinda my overall observation. so even though i love meeting ppl and making friends, i sort of always have my guard up. this is a really good topic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can say that at one point i was a trust giver.. for the same reasons lyss is i was never really hurt and i believed that all ppl were nice like me.. however, over the past few yrs of my life that some of us know about i have turned in a trust earner.. and in a way it saddnes me bc people in my life now pay for other past mistakes.. but to me not getting hurt is the most imporant thing.. however when i strp back and look at it i hope im not letting good oppertunities pass me by bc i cant/wont trust.. and its not always fair .. o well at this point im def an earner.. and i think it will take alot for me to ever trust someone new fully ...

    ReplyDelete